Watch Out for Electrical Hazards Around the Home

We are so highly dependent on electricity that most of us take it for granted. Because we don’t think about how our electrical systems actually work, we are not always aware of the potential dangers. Your home could have a number of electrical hazards that you may not even know about. Some of these hazards might include:


If the wiring in your home is not up to scratch, it is a serious safety hazard. Poor wiring increases the chance of fires and power surges.

Light bulbs

Light bulbs are generally fairly safe, but they can cause a fire if they are kept too close to flammable materials. Bedroom lamps, for example, can get too close to bed sheets or pillows. Also, some lights are only designed to hold bulbs up to a certain wattage, so putting a 100W bulb in a lamp only designed for 60W bulbs is a definite no-no.


Electricity and water don’t mix, so it’s important to ensure your power outlets are not close to water sources. Because water conducts electricity, it’s not advised to douse an electrical fire with water. A fire extinguisher is the best way to put out an electrical fire.

Hazards in Older Homes

Older homes can be particularly susceptible to power surges and electrical fires. The passage of time can deteriorate wires and other electrical fittings. Older homes might not be built to cope with the demand of modern day electronic appliances.

An older home can be more prone to arc faults, which is when an electric current jumps, or arcs, from one connection to another. This unintentional discharge generates heat, which can cause fires. Arc faults can be caused by loose connections, damaged cords, cracked wire insulation, faulty appliances, and overheated wires, among other things.

Electrical Safety Checklist

Make sure you regularly check for electrical hazards in your home. Things to check include:

Cords. Cords should be out of the way so that they are not tripping hazards. If they are damaged, unplug them and do not use them. Ensure they are not covered or wrapped tightly. Overheating cords can be very dangerous.

Outlets. Check that all outlets and switches are working property, and are cool to the touch.

Appliances. Faulty appliances should not be used. If the appliance is making a strange sound, has caused an electric shock, or not functioning as it should, a licensed electrical contractor should check it out or it should be discarded.

Your qualified Brisbane electrician should do most electrical work. It’s far safer than doing it on your own, and it means the work will be done to national safety standards. If there are any problems with your electricity system, hire an electrician to investigate and install safety devices such as circuit interrupters, or safety switches, if recommended.

Contact us today for all your electrical safety needs.